Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Check Your Car Insurance Before Driving Abroad


Check Your Car Insurance Before Driving Abroad

If you are intending on driving through continental Europe this summer make sure that you know exactly what your car insurance policy covers before you get anywhere near the ferry or EuroStar.

Many UK drivers are ignorant about the level of cover afforded abroad, simply because it is not high on their list of priorities when buying car insurance. More often than not it is factors such as cost of premiums and the levels of voluntary and mandatory excesses that determine which car insurance policy is eventually bought.

But, major car insurers differ when it comes to the level of cover they offer abroad and you may find that your cover is automatically downgraded to the legal minimum required for the country in which you are driving, or perhaps to third-party only; even if you enjoy fully comprehensive insurance at home. So, don't automatically assume that you will enjoy the same cover while driving abroad.

Motor insurers that automatically downgrade once you cross the UK border may restore cover back to UK levels with an additional one-off premium; check in advance of travel whether you need to buy such a top-up, or indeed whether you are already adequately covered. Better to be safe than sorry after the event!

If you are in the position to renew your car insurance then the easiest way to find out which is the best car insurance [] to buy when it comes to cover abroad is to use a comparison website. Once you enter your specific details then the site's search engine does all the hard work for you. On most sites you elect how you would like your results returned and the majority automatically default to cheapest premium first, getting progressively more expensive as you progress down the results page.

However, you are usually offered either 'summary' or 'more information' options and it is here that you can find details of the cover offered abroad. And don't forget that it's not just your car's insurance that should concern you when driving abroad. You need to ensure that you and your passengers are covered by adequate travel insurance, and if motoring through EU countries that all travelers are in possession of their EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), even if they are covered by an independent travel policy. The EHIC is free to all UK citizens, valid for a period of five years and many travel insurers will waive any excess if you are in possession of one and subsequently need to claim.

So, if you are getting prepared to motor abroad with confidence this summer then it is important to ensure that you, your passengers and your vehicle are all adequately covered.

Post a Comment for "Check Your Car Insurance Before Driving Abroad"